Commercial landscaping services can be used to help property managers and owners prepare for the coming winter season. A New England winter can be brutal on sensitive plants, lawns, trees, and other landscaping elements. However, if you have an understanding of winter landscaping trends and know what needs to be done, your property can be ready to start growing again in the spring. Winter landscape preparation is an essential part of property management, regardless of the industry that you serve. If you are looking for an experienced team and the best landscaping company in Northern Rhode Island, consider Eastern Landscaping for best results.
Fall Landscaping to Prepare for Winter
Part of winter landscape preparation includes taking care of seasonal tasks at the end of summer and throughout the fall. Before the first frost and ahead of the first snow, there are lots of maintenance services that must be completed to ensure the health and safety of your commercial landscaping. Even if you have a crew that takes care of your on-site maintenance and lawn care, it can be advantageous to bring on a team of professionals to provide you with extra commercial landscaping services during this time of year. It’s the best way to stay on top of winter landscaping trends and provide your lawn, trees, shrubbery, and plants with the services they need to succeed.
- SEEDING – While most people think about seeding in the spring, fall is the best time of year to get the job done. Plant your cool-season grasses at the beginning of fall. For best results, do this at least 45 days before the first frost. The reason for this is that the soil should still be warm and soft enough to allow seeds to germinate quickly and grow before the lower temperatures set in locally.
- AERATION – One of the tasks that many overlook concerning winter landscape preparation is aeration. The soil must be aerated appropriately to ensure that fertilizer, water, and oxygen can effectively reach the roots. You don’t want the ground to become too compact, which is something that can happen after a long, hot summer. Soil that is extremely tightly packed together can cause damage to sensitive roots, especially when the snow and ice hit the region.
- LEAVES – New England leaves may look beautiful, but they need to be removed from your lawn and flower beds as soon as possible. While there is a lot of debate regarding leaves as mulch or food for your plants, leaves that cover the grass will block sunlight, cause the grass to thin out, and even become a source for mold, mildew, and disease. Don’t allow leaves to cover your commercial property lawn. Have it removed by your staff or bring in commercial landscaping services for this seasonal task.
- TRIMMING and PRUNING – Everything can be cut back during this time of year, including your lawn, trees, and bushes. At the end of fall, the grass is typically cut down a lot shorter than during the growing season. This will help the grass to get more sunlight and prevent damage caused by snow, frost, and ice. Trees and bushes should be trimmed at this time, as it is safer than pruning during the warmer months. This can reduce risk for insect infestations and disease from setting in due to the trees and bushes being dormant.
- FERTILIZING – Similar to seeding, fall is an excellent time to fertilize lawns and trees. This winter landscape preparation can help your property to be healthier in the spring. Extra fertilizer at this stage of the growing season is one of the best winter landscaping trends and should be done each year. It can help to boost resistance to insects and disease throughout the winter months and prepare for growth when the snow and ice melt away.
Outsourcing Commercial Landscaping Services
There are many benefits associated with hiring the best landscaping company in Northern Rhode Island to take care of your commercial landscaping services. Even if you have an in-house crew, there are certain seasons when extra help and specialized care is needed. If you don’t have an in-house crew, there’s no reason to invest in machinery, equipment, or to train staff when you can outsource these services to a professional team. You can save time and money by working with a reputable company like Eastern Landscaping for all of your commercial landscaping services needs. Give us a call at 401-766-9035 to get a FREE estimate for any of the services that we provide.