It’s hot. Nobody wants to go outside. But everyone wants a great looking lawn, especially in the summer. So what do you do during the “dog days” of summer? Your best bet is to contact a team that can provide you with full service landscaping. In fact, taking advantage of landscape maintenance services can help you to keep your home looking its very best all year round. When you start looking around for landscaping companies in Rhode Island, make sure to find out if they provide you with all of the services that your home will require to stay on top of your outdoor services.
Lawn fertilization in Rhode Island is also very important. Combining a beautiful green lawn and manicured flower beds with low maintenance solutions can help reduce the amount of work that needs to be done throughout the seasons. When you hire a reliable team of professionals to take care of your landscaping and lawn care, you can spend your weekends, summer vacation and free time just enjoying your home with your family. No more spending hours pushing a lawn mower or sweeping up grass clippings, hoping those yellow and brown patches will miraculously turn green on their own.
Summer is Stressful for Lawns
Did you know that the hot summer season is very stressful for your lawn and other plants? Whether we are experiencing hot and dry conditions or warm and humid weather, your lawn takes the brunt of it head on. The soaring temperatures and fluctuations in humidity create a perfect storm for heat stress, drought, insect infestations and disease. The change in temperature and weather throughout the summer months changes the needs of your lawn on almost a daily basis. If you don’t stay on top of it you will notice the effects in a matter of days.
Proper maintenance through full service landscaping services can help you keep it all under control. Tried and true techniques, low maintenance solutions and even lawn fertilization in Rhode Island at the proper time of year, can help your lawn endure just about anything the weather can throw at it. Landscaping companies in Rhode Island should be knowledgeable and experienced in the local conditions to ensure a great looking lawn and landscape no matter how warm it gets outdoors. Allowing your lawn to dry out and ignoring it even for just a week or so could turn it into an ugly, crunchy, brown mess.
Knowing How to Mow in Summer
You might just think that summer mowing is the same as mowing in the spring or the fall, but when the temperatures are high, there’s a little bit more know-how and experience required in order to get the best results. Lawn fertilization in Rhode Island can only do so much if you are mowing your lawn incorrectly during the hottest days of the season. Landscaping maintenance services can take care of this for you to ensure that your lawn is healthy and thriving. When the temperature is at its hottest, that’s the worst time to mow your lawn. In fact, it stresses it out right at the time when it needs to use all of its energy just to keep growing.
Some of the best things you can do to keep your lawn looking great in summer include:
- planting perennial turf grasses, such as bluegrass or tall fescue, which allow you to trim the tops of the lawn to keep it need and clean without taking it down too far to keep it healthier and stronger all season long
- never remove more than a third of the grass blade during a mowing to prevent it from going into shock and dying off
- keep your lawn mowed regularly to keep it at the height you desire, such as 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 inches; never allow it to grow more than an inch higher than your regular height to prevent the grass from sprouting too many “stalks” in the middle of your lawn
- never ever mow at the hottest point of the day, especially on a windy day when the grass could dry out and become dehydrated
- sprinkle the grass clippings over your mowed lawn, as they consist of as much as 80 percent of water and will break down quickly when they come in contact with the soil, providing your lawn with essential nutrients
- keep your mower blade sharp to avoid shredding the tips of the grass
Call Eastern Landscaping for Year-Round Service
If you are interested in learning more about our full service landscaping , low maintenance solutions or lawn fertilization in Rhode Island, give us a call at 401-766-9035. Our team of highly trained and experienced lawn technicians can help you have the best looking lawn on the block with our landscape maintenance services. Call today for a FREE estimate or to learn more about all of the other services available for residential and commercial clients in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts.