Each year the snow and ice begin to melt away and a few little sprigs of grass begin to appear. Thoughts of lush, green lawns and beautiful spring flowers begin to flood your mind, but there’s work to be done if you want all of those dreams to come true. Landscape spring preparation is an important part of lawn and landscaping maintenance when you live in the northeastern states. If you do not take care of your spring lawn care, you could end up having problems for the rest of the year. It may sound dramatic, but in the case of landscaping, prevention is the best weapon against the plagues of summer that would love nothing more than to destroy your lawn.
Rhode Island landscape contractors can help you with all of your Southern Mass spring cleaning – outdoors, that is. There are quite a few chores that need to be done in order to get started on the right foot. Even if you do not use lawn and landscaping maintenance services for mowing, edging and basic care, it can be worth it to hire a team of professionals just to give your spring landscaping a solid kick start in the right direction.
What Needs to Be Done
While each yard is different and the needs of each property owner is diverse, it is important to at least browse this list of work that “needs to be done” for your landscape spring preparation. You may not need to do all of these tasks simply because of what you have and don’t have in your yard, but either way, you will still get it done faster if you hire professionals to help you with your Southeastern Massachusetts or Northern Rhode Island spring cleaning landscape chores.
- RAKING – Never has just one word struck so much grumpiness in a New England homeowner than raking. While millions come from all over the world to see our fall foliage, what is left behind consists of hours and hours and hours of raking for property owners throughout the region. However, raking is nonetheless quite important to your springtime lawn preparation. It doesn’t just remove excess grass, leaves and other organic debris, but it also helps to control thatch and any grass blades that died over the winter.
- AERATION – Depending on the amount of foot traffic that trod over your lawn throughout the year from your own family members, visitors, the mailman, the paperboy and those annoying door-to-door salesmen, you may have an issue with compacted soil. One sign of compacted soil is moss. The best way to fix this issue is to aerate your lawn or have it aerated by professional Rhode Island landscape contractors. It can be a lot of work, but it is worth it to help your lawn grow in better as the weather starts to warm.
- OVER-SEEDING – This activity means different things in different parts of the country. Out west they use over-seeding at golf courses to switch between warm weather grasses and cool weather grasses. Here in the east, it means adding fresh seed of the same grass variety to fix dog spots, bare patches and other issues in the lawn. This can be part of your annual Southern Mass spring cleaning landscaping routine. However, with regular lawn and landscaping maintenance – and keeping your dog off the lawn – you probably won’t have as much of a need for over-seeding as some of your neighbors.
- FERTILIZING – Another great method for landscape spring preparation, make sure to have your soil tested by Rhode Island landscape contractors who can determine what your lawn is lacking before just throwing “any” type of fertilizer on your grass. So many homeowners try to do this themselves and just end up wasting time and money by using the wrong type of fertilizer. Contact your lawn and landscape professionals to help you with any concerns about nutrient deficiencies or to recommend the best fertilizer for your particular situation.
- WEED KILLER – Healthy lawns likely won’t need to use any type of herbicides or “weed killer” products, however if you have a problem developing you may want to treat pre-emergent weeds with a professional herbicide that stops seed germination of common weeds in the local area. However, because this is a chemical treatment, you may want to work with your Southern Mass spring cleaning landscape experts to find the best option for your lawn.
Contact Eastern Landscaping for Springtime Services
The sheer volume of tasks that need to be completed as part of your landscape spring preparation in Northern/Central Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts is staggering, but you can hire a team of professional lawn and landscape maintenance experts to take care of it all for you. Call Eastern Landscaping at 401-766-9035. Our team of highly trained and experienced Rhode Island landscape contractors can help you with all of your Southern Mass spring cleaning and landscaping needs. Give us a call today for a FREE consultation or to request our professional services.